Can a do a "DESCRIBE <tablename>" from OCI?

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: 28 Nov 2004 23:42:48 -0800

I am writing a program whose purpose is to create .dat files which are going to be used later by SQL*Loader.

I would like my program to find out in real time whether any of the fields that are going to be inserted in the table are too wide.

Therefore, I would like to have my OCI program connect to the database an perform some sort of "DESC tablename" command or equivalent. Perhaps I should perform a SELECT FROM USER_TABLES? TIA, -Ramon F Herrera Received on Mon Nov 29 2004 - 01:42:48 CST