Re: 10g downwards compatibility

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:54:59 +0100

Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:28:39 +0000, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

>>>Seems I cannot run an SQL script under user SYS any longer that creates some
>>>Views on SYS.all_tables or something in that vein.

>>Oh, my god! Please tell me that you're not doing this to your employer?

> What is so unusual about that? The script is one special script that is
> run once on the instance of the DB to let appear some Oracle tables
> like Centura formerly Gupta now again Gupta database tables. It is
> supplied by the vendor.
>

> --
> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies (at) rwth-aachen.de

Sheehs! Are they still using the 7.3 views?!? And "It is supplied by the vendor" does not mean: 1) It can be trusted
2) It is *not* your responsibility (anymore)

I have -even for customers- refused to run scripts more than once, because it was clear, that the vendor did not understand Oracle specifics. In almost all cases the customers were pleased with this attitude.
Vendors were sometimes, mostly they were 'not amused' :-^

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel