Re: RAID 5 vs RAID 10 benchmark

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:07:05 +0100

Bruno Jargot wrote:
> Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote:
>

>>Basic message: RAID10 (or 1+0) is *safer* than RAID5,
>>because you can *never* loose 2 disks in RAID5 without
>>serious disruption (involving restoring of backups).

> With an array of 7 disks in RAID 5 and 1 disk in spare, you're living
> dangerously only for the duration of the array rebuild.
> I think this configuration has a pretty good redundancy / price rapport.

You missed the point: loose 2 disks. Having one spare is cheating: upon loosing the first, the array gets rebuilt. OK - in this state, loose two disks - any 2. RAID10 will only get upset when one disk, that gets broken, is the mirror of the other broken disk. In other words: you must loose the complete mirror set (how big a chance is that?)

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel