Re: SQL Server 2000 Migrate to Oracle

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:27:21 GMT

Serge Rielau wrote:

> The spec as in SQL Standard? If there is one consistent message coming
> from this group it is that customers shall exploit vendor specific
> extensions ;-)

Sure - exploit extensions to keep TCO under control! IMO vendor independance for the sake of blind neutrality is generally a stupid thing because it has repeatedly been shown to cost a phenomenal amount.

Some examples:

Why buy MQ Series Message Queue product to interface to the database when AQ is already built in?

Why build an 'invented here' workflow that requires development, maintenance and support by people who may move on?

Why avoid Partitioning and increase the CPU requirements?

And the list goes on.

I suspect that DB2 would also have a lot of extensions if the standard didn't follow IBM so closely - and there has been a significant, although perhaps co-incidental <g>, history of the standard following IBM's well-thought-out suggestions.

Back to the current item - the 18 char identifier:

This is a thorn in virtually every cross-vendor environment. Expanding the minimum to 128 characters (or 1024) would permit the idiots who like excessivelyLongTableOrObjectNamesThatAreGenerallyMeaningless to be happy.

And it would increase the sales of IDEs that positionally autofill.

And it would encourage consistency in design and development environments from a baseline SQL perspective because the schools would [inadvertently] teach to the standard again instead of SQLServer or MySQL proprietary extensions.

It would, however, still permit extensions making Oracle and other cost-conscious people happy as well.

But that, as they say, is just my opinion. /Hans Received on Thu Nov 25 2004 - 18:27:21 CST