Re: SQL Server 2000 Migrate to Oracle

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:57:18 -0500

HansF wrote:
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>

>>I disagree, well not with ridiculously long column or table names per se,
>>but I do think that the 30 character limit on identifiers is overly
>>restrictive.

> Doesn't the spec call for 18 char?
>
> If my belief is correct, it might be more beneficial to change the spec than
> try to move Oracle. At least we'd reduce the inconsistency between vendors
> by 1 minor notch.
>
> /Hans

The spec as in SQL Standard? If there is one consistent message coming from this group it is that customers shall exploit vendor specific extensions ;-)
FWIW DB2 is moving towards VARCHAR(128) for all identifiers, no matter which ones.
Niall's example is the one that I find bites most in SQL Server migration. Index, triggers, constraints are big hitters for that reason: "TABLEX_AFT_UPDATE_DO_SOMETHING_FE_ROW"
The problem for any vendor is: Increasing the limit has zero marketing value. (And it's very uncool for development to boot :-0) It's like an arms race. If one vendor starts the rest has to follow :-(

Cheers
Serge Received on Thu Nov 25 2004 - 08:57:18 CST