Redolog group Members

From: Martin Doering <doeringm_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:01:50 +0100

Hello, DBAs!

What is your experience with adding members to redolog groups? We have a very high available disk and OS-mirroring configuration. Since the early days we have 2 members in every redolog group. But in my eyes this seams totally stupid in our configuration, because we just do not have disks anymore. We are operating on a big cache on the disk arrays. All our redolog group members are on the same disk array's logical disk, which has multiple gigabytes space.

It seems, that oracles manuals are just copying their recommendations from version to version, without having an eye on new technologies.

What is your experience? We measured, that on a database with high I/O load you can optimize your performance by dropping group members, because it simply doubles the I/O. What is your recommendation??

--
Martin Doering