Re: Serious article on comparison between MS SQL Server 2005 Yukon and Oracle 10g

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 06:34:50 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:
> Actually identity columns have more of an impact on performance than do
> sequences which is why IBM immediately added sequences to Informix. The
> sad fact of identity columns is that they force serialization.
When did you become an IBM spokesperson to comment on what IBM does why? ;-)

SERIAL will only add serialization if the purpose of it is to be used outside the table. And that is the main distinguishing factor between IDENTITY/SERIAL and SEQUENCES. One is geared towards global value generation. One is table-level.
Both have advantages. E.g. table level logic "natively" support the application and tools. There is no need for trigger.

I see both features as valuable independently.

Cheers
Serge Received on Tue Nov 23 2004 - 05:34:50 CST