Re: 2 GB myth

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:26:54 +1100

zeb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I use safely datafile larger than 2 GB ?
> I know it is a file system limitation not oracle limitation,
> now on recent filesystem there is no such limitation.
>
> Is this a "psychologic" limitation ?
> Is there any known bugs ?
> perfomance pb ?
> management ?
>
> Can I go safely with this ??
>
> oracle 8i, 9i
> AIX 4, 5
> HP-UX 11.0

It is safe to go bigger. But the real question is: it it necessary or wise to do so. Remember always that the data file is the smallest unit of backup and recovery (RMAN block recoveries excepted). The bigger your files, the longer and less granular your backups and recoveries are.

Unless you were into the several terabyte total database size, I can't see any particular reason to break the 2GB limit. A mere 500 such files would get you to the terabyte stage, and 500 files is not that many (recall that you are technically allowed 65,000-odd per database).

Regards
HJR Regards
HJR Received on Sat Nov 20 2004 - 03:26:54 CST