Re: Are 9i incrementals realy incremental....

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Nov 2004 06:38:10 -0800

oracle_man_at_yahoo.com (rich) wrote in message news:<56f4f26c.0411171456.2bf2a10f_at_posting.google.com>...
> According to most docs: RMAN incremental backups only backup the data
> blocks that have changed since the last incremental.
>
> I don't believe it. I do believe it probably backs up the data files
> that have changed since the last incremental,but NOT block changes.
>
> Anyone want to challenge this?
>
> Please send email to rheadrick_at_monster(REMOVE_ME).com

It does. However if you read a little closer, it's only the changed blocks from the last full backup, i.e. 'incremental level 0'. For example, I backup a 30 GB db via a full backup on the weekend and then cumulative incrementals for the other days. For those days, it's approx. 20 MB to 30MB per day that changes on this DB. So Monday it would backup 30M, Tue. 60M, Wed. 90M ..... so on & so forth. The key here is to run a full backup regularly whether it's a hot or cold. Don't believe it, try it.

HTH,
Pete's Received on Thu Nov 18 2004 - 08:38:10 CST