Re: dbms_stats / 9204

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:59:23 +0800

Oradba Linux wrote:

> Connor McDonald wrote:
> > Oradba Linux wrote:
> >
> >>I have gathered statistics for all objects in our prod database.
> >>How do you guys find out the next time to gather stats on the table?
> >>Do you regularly put them in a schedule ? My intention is avoid wasting
> >>cpu cycles gathering statistics unless it is needed.
> >

> > check out the MONITORING clause for tables
> >
> > hth
> > connor
> Hello Connor
>
> I have just ordered your book. I am liking the reviews a lot. Hopefully
> i will not be disappointed.
> The reason i dont want to turn on monitoring for all tables is the
> overhead. Is this overhead too much? I am looking for opinions.
> Also it is a datawarehouse/reporting db.
> I am on oracle 9204 / sun os 32 bit

There is an overhead but I'll doubt you'll notice it. Its predominantly memory based (and latch-less) with the data only being flushed down the the data dictionary at regular intervals.

In fact, in v10, all tables are monitored as a default.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"