Re: ORA-00001: unique constraint violated

From: Michael <michael.lohmar_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Nov 2004 06:42:38 -0800

Hello Howard,

just at first ... I do not want to run into philosophical analyses ... but I think that we both do not come together because we look at the things with different view.

Viewed from the side of the relational theory a index and a constraint does nothing have in common. And nearly all database have their own way to build them up. Sure you can create a primary and also a unique index without to add a constraint to the table ... just that I (because of working with Oracle) prefer to add a primary or unique constraint to a table which will automatically create the necessary indexes for me .. it's standard behavior of Oracle as far I know ... instead of writing a separate create index script. Maybe a problem of my prefered way to do it ...

To be honest i have the feeling that you seems to be the better one to explain this background and I have no problems to commit this. Greetings,
Michael Received on Wed Nov 17 2004 - 08:42:38 CST