Re: Query time out paramter in oralce

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2004 07:05:21 -0800

umeshoracle_at_yahoo.com (U C) wrote in message news:<fd94e273.0411080300.2e056868_at_posting.google.com>...
> I am running a "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM MYTABLE" query on a very large Oracle
> table. My application stops responding (after about 15 seconds) because the
> query is taking too much time to return the query. I know other databases
> (MS Server) have a timeout parameter that can be set in the BDE. What can I
> do with Oracle? Which parameter do I have to set for the same.

If you're asking about sqlplus query timeout, there's no such feature. But it sounds like a legitimate feature you can file an enhancement request for. Since your query comes from an application other than sqlplus, look into ODBC or JDBC query timeout. Alternatively, if you have source code of the application, implement it yourself.

Yong Huang Received on Tue Nov 09 2004 - 09:05:21 CST