Re: A voodoo masterpiece

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 04:58:06 +1100

Mladen Gogala wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 19:54:49 +1100, Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>> Why is anyone still believing anything this old dinosaur hacks out
>> (badly)?
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR

> This was a low blow and totally uncalled for.

Rubbish. I linked to an article. And I called it voodoo (which it is, and which is defined on my website, if you want to know).

> And as far as an "old
> dinosaur" is concerned, let me quote reply of another very smart old
> dinosaur, Mr. Andy Rooney to Mr. Bill O'Reilly of the "No Spin Zone"
> fame:
> "I didn't get old on purpose, it just happened to me. If you are very,
> very lucky, it may even happen to you."
> Sure, Don Burleson can make mistakes. He's only human, I've seen no claims
> to the contrary.

No-one is claiming Don should be perfect. Just that he shouldn't post complete crap.

> We all make mistakes. I occasionally make 10 mistakes
> before breakfast and live through the day. Don Burleson also wrote a
> beautiful book about Statspack which is still relevant and very useful.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. Since Don is on record as saying that an 10046 trace file is in hex, when it obviously isn't, I wouldn't want to trust anything he wrote on the subject of performance tuning.

> Don Burleson wrote numerous useful articles

Name one. Just one. And link to it, so we can all check.

> and maintains the very same
> DBA Zine that Jonathan Lewis writes in.

So? The man has a web page that decent authors post to. Excellent. Now... back to the matter at hand. What has the man himself written that isn't pure voodoo?

> I don't see a purpose of such an
> outburst against Don Burleson?

It wasn't an outburst. It was a comment. On an appallingly-written article claiming that proving one's statements about the workings of Oracle was "beyond stupid". Justify that one (and stick to the point).

> I used to have very high opinion of you,

I couldn't give a monkey's what your opinion of me is, was or will be. I'm talking about an attitude that says "trust me, my name's Don. I don't have to prove anything, because that's beyond stupid".

> but now I can see that the people disagreeing with me, did have a point
> there. What exactly is your beef with Don Burleson that justifies name
> calling?

Nothing with Don as a person. Everything with what Don wrote. It's dangerous, misleading crap... that's my beef.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Nov 08 2004 - 11:58:06 CST