Web authentication: some general questions

From: Alex NSB <alexnsb_at_tin.it>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:00:07 +0100

Hi all.

I'm building a web app using Oracle 10g (NOT AS) and PL/SQL. It's fairly simple: a few packages producing web forms and pages writing/reading data to/from my tables.

I'm trying now to figure out what are my options for managing authenticated access to some of my procedures.

I'd like to use db authentication (Oracle username/password), but I've never done this before: I browsed the Internet and the docs but couldn't clear up my mind.

My questions are:

  1. can I do db authentication without iAS?
  2. do you recommend using SSL (and, if so, can I do that without iAS)?
  3. what are the recommended techniques to keep session state from page to page? (I was thinking about a session cookie coupled with a session table on the db... Not sure if this is the correct approach: any pointer to a white paper or something?)

Thank you in advance for any advice and assistance you will provide.

Alessandro Received on Fri Nov 05 2004 - 04:00:07 CST