ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach).

From: <db2group88_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Nov 2004 14:50:45 -0800

i use this way to install 10g database enterprise edition locally on windows 2000 machine, extract 10g_win32_db.zip to d:\oracle, from d:\oracle\Disk1\setup.exe, install programs , with sample schema, database name is orcl, but when installation done, it gives me error that instance current status is down, need to startup, i try start still not working, please help.

When I use the Enterprise Manager at:

http://localhost:5500/em/

I get for ORCL:

Status Pending Since: Unavailable

Seems that I can never get the database started properly?! When I press the Startup/Shutdown button I get:

Current Status: open
This is the correct current database status, although it doesnot match the current status in the sitemap page

What does this mean? Do you think this may contain the clue to the answer to this problem?

When I restart the Database I get the same status: unavailable.

i get this alert from server:

Name=isys.ch
Type=Database
Host=PCDDAI

Metric=Status
Timestamp=Nov 4, 2004 3:58:18 PM CST
Severity=Critical
Message=Failed to connect to database instance: ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach). Rule Name=Database Availability and Critical States Rule Owner=SYSMAN Received on Thu Nov 04 2004 - 16:50:45 CST