Re: Performance tuning

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 3 Nov 2004 01:21:54 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<41878d11$0$21595$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...

> http://www.dizwell.com/html/row_migration.html
>
> Make of it what you will.

Excellent paper as usual, HJ. One addition I'd like to see, if I may: there are a lot of people out there claiming ASSM in 10g solves all/fixes all as well as brewing tea, cleaning brass pipes, etcetc.

Despite the fact I love Assam tea:
I don't think it will fix any of these potential problems? AFAIK it addresses the freelist and initrans problems, but that's about it. Perhaps a small paragraph dismissing any false hopes, just in case another myth crops up? Or is it there and I missed it entirely?

Also, I've seen many designers recommending people use only CHAR instead of VARCHAR2. Because it "avoids row migration". I'd include a clear caveat against doing that: after all, like you point out NULLable will cause exactly the same problem with ANY datatype! And CHARs can royally stuff up searches... Received on Wed Nov 03 2004 - 03:21:54 CST