Re: 10g dbca fails to start

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 3 Nov 2004 01:34:55 -0800

"ievel" <iev§takitout§el_at_sky§takitout§net.be> wrote in message news:<41880dd1$0$19551$ba620e4c_at_news.skynet.be>...

> Yes it uses DHCP, but why should this influence the startup of a GUI
> interface?

It may well not and it may well do. The IG says: don't use it. Trust me: follow the IG...

> This is not what you call a clean XP installation, it is a machine I"m using
> for personal testing and developing. But it is installed and configured
> properly.
> Ideally maybe 10g should be installed on a clean system but this is not
> always possible.
> And this is not an excuse why none of the GUI interfaces should start.

Hmmm, I've had serious probs before with DBCA not starting. For example after I've installled some Java enviroment that stuffs up the system variables. Happened as well after installing earlier releases of JInitiator: best way of ensuring DBCA would never start again.
So a clean environment may indeed be relevant. Look at it this way: Oracle is supposed to be installed on a server dedicated machine. It's not supposed to be installed on a general purpose desktop test system. I've had serious probs when installing SQL Server, DB2, Websphere and a few other databases/appservers.
So, it's not a problem exclusive to Oracle. IMHO, you're expecting too much out of your test system.

On a more encouraging note: I've found that if you re-install the Oracle Installer, it usually fixes up the Java environment for the rest of the DBA tools. At least it used to in 9i and 8i. Worth a try?