Re: trying to understand transaction control in pl/sql

From: ken quirici <kquirici_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2004 05:03:19 -0800

Hi,

I need to add a note to my previous post - it rolls back until it finds a handler for the error - all the way to the sqlplus prompt or equivalent if necessary - BUT IF IT FINDS ONE it only rolls back the one statement that errored - so it must not do the actual rollback until it determines it's necessary.

I suppose it marks wherever it stores the new data with all the intermediate savepoints so it can do this partial write/partial rollback if an error occurs which is eventually trapped.

Thanks,

Ken

PS it makes sense to talk of rolling back a statement that causes an error because for example there might be a trigger executing after the insert that causes the error. That make sense? Received on Mon Nov 01 2004 - 07:03:19 CST