Re: Oracle 9i on linux?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:19:55 +1100

"harry" <spammemothers_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:Qo2hd.3057$up1.230_at_text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Sorry for being a bit thick but I'm a basically a complete newbie to Linux
> &
> need to get up & running pretty quickly.
>
> I been asked to setup a Linux box on a PC running Oracle 9i & Weblogic
> 8.1.
>
> The version of Linux I install is not that important as long as I can get
> the 2 app's above working - that's where I've hit a brick wall.
>
> I thought I'd find a Oracle & WL version say for FreeBSB or Redhat & go
> with
> that Linux version ah ha but -
>
> it looks like from Oracle's site I should download "Oracle9i Database
> Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for Linux
> New (26-Mar-04)"
>
> but which version of linux is it for, freebsd, redhat etc...?

FreeBSD is not Linux. It's another Unix clone, to put it at its simplest. And not one Oracle supports (or much of the rest of the world, to be blunt).

Redhat is merely a distribution of Linux. There are lots of others, such as SuSE, Mandrake, Fedora, Gentoo, Slackware and Lord knows what else.

Oracle only certifies its products for one or two Linux distributions (because otherwise it would be there till Christmas!). Specifically, it only certifies itself against Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1, RH Advanced Server 3 and (lately) SuSE Enterprise Server 9. Something called United Linux 1 got a mention once upon a time, but it fell off the face of the Earth shortly afterwards, so we don't tend to worry about that one.

> Also from BEA's site -
> http://commerce.bea.com/showproduct.jsp?family=WLP&major=8.1&minor=3 in
> the
> drop down box, the only linux offering appears to be "Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux (2.1, 3.0, Pentium) - so do I have to have "Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux"?

So BEA seem also to certify themselves against Red Hat 2.1, and 3... which kind of means if you want a certified platform for both, thems about your only choices. Least common denominators and all that jazz.

Beyond that much, I'm not sure what exactly you're asking. If you want to know how to install Oracle 9i on Red Hat Advanced Server 3, there's always my article at www.dizwell.com (end of shameless plug). Thhat article uses White Box Linux, which is an exact clone of RHAS3, but which is freely available and updatable. I can't tell whether you are just experimenting at this stage on a spare PC, so White Box might be a go, or whether this is going straight into supported production -in which case, you will want the "proper" Red Hat product, at a cost of several thousand dollars. Your choice: but whatever you do in White Box, you end up doing in RHAS3, because fundamentally they are exactly the same distro.

Regards
HJR