Re: Oracle Server IP Change

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:22:30 +1100

"s.kapitza" <skapitza_at_volcanomail.com> wrote in message news:26703915.0410310224.51509a27_at_posting.google.com...
> "nbhiker" <not_at_likely.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I've googled this to death and can't seem to find a resolution.
>>
>> I have installed oracle 8i on Solaris 8. All was working well until I
>> changed the IP of the server (which is necessary), and now I am getting
>> connection errors. I can no longer perform a successful tnsping
>> (TNS-12545:
>> Connect failed because target host or object does not exist). I have
>> edited
>> tnsnames.ora and listener.ora (and double-checked), and the server and
>> the
>> listener will start up with no probems, but I am still unable to connect.
>> Oh, and I am connecting from the local machine (testing on the box
>> itself,
>> not remotely).
>>
>> Has anyone else run into thsi situation? Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> nbhiker
>
> mybe you need to triple check.
>
> tnsping tell's you "target host does not exist" which means that your
> tnsnames has an faulty host entry.

It doesn't tell him that at all. Suppose his host entry was 'PICKLE'. That might be a perfectly valid entry: there's a server called PICKLE. He can see it, touch it, re-boot it. It's just a shame his DNS server cannot resolve the name 'PICKLE' to some meaningful IP address.

Now: does that mean the host entry is faulty, or that the host resolution mechanism is faulty?

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Oct 31 2004 - 05:22:30 CST