Re: So what if 8i is outta support ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:00:46 -0700

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>>

>>>they sink or swim, and it's no skin of your nose particularly if they
>>>sink.
>>
>>You were doing really well Howard right up to this sentence.

> Try not to patronise me. It doesn't work.
>

>>If they sink ... I lose the account.
>>Then I can't afford my boat.
>>Then I can't afford my single malts.
>>Then I have to go do sales and find new accounts.
>>These are all bad things.

> And...
>

>>>Of course, if they do that, you/your organisation might not get the
>>>repeat business of filling any further jobs that client has to offer. But
>>>it's not personal for you like it was for me.

> ...stone me if I didn't already say all of that.
>

>>It is but in a different way. My reputation depends on never placing
>>anyone that can't just swim but teach others to swim too.

> It is just as important to my reputation with my boss to hire a colleague
> who does well. And it is just as important to my ability to fly airplanes
> or buy red wines to not screw up a hiring decision.
>
> So take those common denominators out of the equation, and what are you left
> with? You ship your hires out to become someone else's problem. I have to
> work with mine daily.
>
> That's the difference. And that's what I was getting at.
>
> And I have already conceded that of course it's not quite as pat as that
> from your perspective, in the paragraph you quoted above. But it's
> nevertheless a genuine point of difference.
>
> But I'm bored discussing this, because it's pointless.
>
> HJR
The difference is that the first time you realize a mistake has been made you are there to correct it: With instruction, coaching, or the boot. The first notice I get is when it is far too late to do much but apologize.

And patronize you? I'd sooner drink a blended scotch.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington