Re: Using XML and a relational database

From: Lemming <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:49:51 +0100

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:35:22 +0400, "Alex Shirshov" <nomail_at_mail.ru> wrote:

>Hello, DA!
>You wrote on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:10:47 -0700:
>

>[Sorry, skipped]
>
> DM> The data can be easily stored in relational form and the XML
> DM> reconstituted by either the database or by the app server. Benchmarks
> DM> I've seen support the proposition that reconstitution on the app server
> DM> gives the best overall performance.
>
>Don't be conning! Yes, xml docs with the regular form can be transformed to
>relational structure, but this is the only one case. The app need to be able
>to work with ustructured and semistructured xml documents and this is the
>primary use case. If you said, that xml docs without regular structure also
>can be easily transformed to relational form, than i will dare to claim you
>are not working with RDBMS. It's not easy to alter table each time you
>partner adds another extensibility element to your wonderful, semirelational
>xml format.

Nor is it easy to amend the programs which consume the wonderful[1], semi-relational xml format. My current client has a so-called "partner" who every week or two will send xml files containing new elements and/or attributes without telling my client's development team beforehand, and then can't understand why the files can't be processed.

The fact that xml is a chaotic, unstructured, bloated mess and that even apparently experienced xml-oriented developers can't understand that changing their file format has an impact on others is not the fault of the RDBMS.

[1] XML can be described as "wonderful" only for very low values of wonderful.
Lemming

--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.