Re: spfile vs pfile in 9i

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:42:25 +1000

Holger Baer wrote:

> Niall Litchfield wrote:
> [...]
>

>> In the case of the spfile, the fact that you can merrily stuff it up
>> and then be unable to start the instance (because you can no longer
>> edit the spfile) or correct the problem without restoring from backup
>> is a rather large defect.
>> Niall Litchfield

> But it's not much effort to get the instance up even without restoring
> from backup (I've demonstrated it recently and I'm willing to repeat
> this until the message get's through) ;-)
>
> 1. create a init.ora with the first line containing
> spfile=path/yourspfile.ora
> 2. the rest of the init.ora are settings that correct the wrong ones
> in the spfile. Since only from the last occurence of a setting
> the value is taken, you can now get your instance up and running
> by
> startup open pfile=path/init.ora

That seems to me to be awfully complicated and potentially confusing (I hate the idea of utilising the old flaw that if there are multiple repeats of a parameter, it's the last one that gets used).

And whatever happened to:

create pfile from spfile
edit pfile
create spfile from pfile
startup
??

The create X from Y commands do require SQL*Plus, but they don't require an instance.

Regards
HRJ Received on Tue Oct 26 2004 - 09:42:25 CDT