Re: Oracle 9i RAC vs Hardware clustering (like HACMP)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:24:25 -0700

Dusan Bolek wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1098251802.572318_at_yasure>...
>

>>Incorrect. IBM is selling a lot of their hardware into shops with NetApp
>>and there is no need to purchase anything else: Even with 9i. And you
>>don't need to pay $1 for a RAC option.
>>So while commodity hardware like HP and Dell with Linux are nice ...
>>they are not necessary to achieve a huge financial benefit.

> Strange, just before a moment I checked OracleStore (of course I knew
> it before, but you never know ...) and there is still something called
> Real Application Clusters Option for an insignificant price 20.000USDs
> per processor.
> The RAC bundled with the Standard Edition is available only for 10G,
> at least in my country. Also HACMP is separately licensed option for
> AIX and it is mandatory for using 9i RAC. Maybe there are some
> available packages from IBM, but we're buying Oracle software directly
> from Oracle, because of big corporate discounts.
> One last point, it is true that in active-passive configuration, there
> is a lower effectivity, but on the other side you can also get 50%
> discount on Oracle licences for passive nodes.
>
> --
> Dusan Bolek
> http://www.db-support.com
>
> Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
> Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
> unpleasant end as SPAM.

I specifically stated that you would still need to pay Oracle for RAC in what I wrote. There is, however, no need to pay IBM or anyone else for clusterware. And I was, of course, referring to 10g.

BTW: I don't know anyone that has actually ever been fool enough to pay $20K USD for RAC. But I guess there are people that don't know better.

You can do better than 50% off for passive nodes ... if in standby mode you can do it for free: Read your license agreement.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington