Re: Oracle 9i RAC vs Hardware clustering (like HACMP)

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 20 Oct 2004 07:29:51 -0700

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1098251802.572318_at_yasure>...
> Incorrect. IBM is selling a lot of their hardware into shops with NetApp
> and there is no need to purchase anything else: Even with 9i. And you
> don't need to pay $1 for a RAC option.
> So while commodity hardware like HP and Dell with Linux are nice ...
> they are not necessary to achieve a huge financial benefit.

Strange, just before a moment I checked OracleStore (of course I knew it before, but you never know ...) and there is still something called Real Application Clusters Option for an insignificant price 20.000USDs per processor.
The RAC bundled with the Standard Edition is available only for 10G, at least in my country. Also HACMP is separately licensed option for AIX and it is mandatory for using 9i RAC. Maybe there are some available packages from IBM, but we're buying Oracle software directly from Oracle, because of big corporate discounts. One last point, it is true that in active-passive configuration, there is a lower effectivity, but on the other side you can also get 50% discount on Oracle licences for passive nodes.

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.