Re: spreading my wings -- looking for some recommdations/best practices

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 21 Oct 2004 07:39:25 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<41771675$0$23894$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...

> Again, I don't know what happens in Unix if you modify the link whilst it's
> in use (I wonder if it's a bit like what happens when you delete the
> control files from a currently-running instance.... and the database keeps
> on chugging away perfectly normally).

I'd say you are 100% correct. In both Linux and Unix (and in fact in any Posix compatible OS) a file "in use" is not referenced by any file system entry, instead a file unit id is used - which is nothing more nor less than a handle established when the file is opened by a program and which lives on until the file is closed by the same program. Hence the behaviour you describe. Received on Thu Oct 21 2004 - 09:39:25 CDT