Re: spreading my wings -- looking for some recommdations/best practices

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:53:01 +1000

BlindEagle_at_HotMail.com wrote:

> just a personal pref... I would not use a symbolic link. Easy enough to
> modifty the pfile.

Not for dynamically altering the destination of archives on a 24x7 system it's not!

I don't know enough about Unix best practice to work out whether Ed's suggestion is evil or saintly. But it seems to me to give some managerial capabilities that ye olde spfile/pfile technology lacks, and that's not a bad thing.

Again, I don't know what happens in Unix if you modify the link whilst it's in use (I wonder if it's a bit like what happens when you delete the control files from a currently-running instance.... and the database keeps on chugging away perfectly normally).

If there is any suspicion that modifying that link could somehow 'divert' an archive mid-stream (ie, corrupt it), then Ed should stick with your advice if he cares about his data, no doubt about it.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Oct 20 2004 - 20:53:01 CDT