Re: Database Sync doubt

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 14 Oct 2004 06:43:48 -0700

spraveen2001_at_yahoo.com (Praveen) wrote in message news:<98d8ec76.0410132156.3e39ff9b_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi All,
>
> We are developing a billing system project. for which front-end is
> java and backend we are using 10G. Initially we have to deploy the
> application in two different places. Apart from these 2 places, there
> will be one central database also. In All the three places, the same
> application is same and database also same. Now, We wanted to sync the
> data between these three database in three different places. Means, at
> any point of time, all three database should have the same data.
>
> Can anyone please tell how should i approach to this data sync with
> three database?
>
> Thanks,
> Praveen

Praveen, your possible solutions depend on some information not posted. Most importantly how current must each database be? And if database A is down should database B and C be available for update or unavailable till A is available again?

If the data must be always in sync then placing a trigger on each table to update the remote instances at the time of DML activity using distribued transactions is one possibility. But if one database is down the entire system is down.

You could use a transaction buffering system to hold local activicy during remote outages and send it when the remote system become available.

You can also look into master to master (advanced) replication.

If some delays in data transmission are acceptable then Oracle's basic replication might be a possiblity as part of the solution.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Oct 14 2004 - 08:43:48 CDT