Quick (?) query re Statspack parse:execute ratio calculation (Thick DBA !)

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_DELETETHIS.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:52:00 +0100

I'm having a brain block at the moment, and I need a gentle reminder of basic arithmetic :o)

I'm looking at a 20 minute Statspack report and I *know* I've got parsing problems (no binds etc) but, I'm puzzled by the 'Execute to Parse %' calculation.

Executions = 108,738
Parses total = 106,240

Calculation is 100 * (1 - parses/executions) which gives approx 2.30%.

I suppose the question is 'what the hell does that really mean?'.

If I want the percentage of parses to executions, I just use 100 * parse/executions and get 97.70% which immediately tells me that the application is crap because I want the figure to be a lot lower (I want 1 parse and 108,738 executions for example giving me 0.00092%) - I want parsing to be a tiny percentage of executions.

If I want the percentage of executions to parses, I use 100 * executions/parses and get 102.35% which tells me that the application is still crap because I want executions to be very large percentage
(108,738/1 * 100 = 10,873,800%).

So, why all the subtractions from 1 ?

(Please be gentle !)

Cheers,
Norm. Received on Thu Oct 14 2004 - 05:52:00 CDT