Re: Tuning question - low cpu_time, high elapsed_time - what gives?

From: Steve B <BigBoote66_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Oct 2004 13:54:00 -0700

Thanks for your advice - I believe I see where you're coming from. I'm not familiar with the Oracle-L email list - can you give me a URL?

I have a few ideas as to what statements may be causing the problem - even under "smooth sailing" time windows, I still see the total "enqueue" time in the statspack report as showing up as a rather high percentage of the time under the top 5 Timed Events (501 seconds in a 10 minute period). Unfortunately, it may not be possible to deal with them without a major system redesign. However, I'm curious regarding this:

I understand how DML can get blocked by another DML statement, but how can a SELECT statement become blocked? We're not doing any logic where we perform full table exclusive locks, and in experiments I've done, updating a table with a bitmap index doesn't block another session that is doing a select from that table.

I may not be able to improve the performance of my DML statements, but if I can figure out what resource they're acquiring that is locking out my SELECTS, I can deal with the equeue problem that way.

-S