Re: sqlplus wrong?

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:54:42 GMT

MaoXuePeng wrote:

>> The next step is to show us the SQLPLus command with the > real

> servername
>> that you are using, and the actual error message.  A
>> copy/paste of the
>> session would be the best (you can blank out the password)

>> For example,

>> sqlplus scott/tiger_at_lbs2

> The SQLPLUS command is : sqlplus navi/*****@lbs2
> And the error is : Timed out.

Oracle provides an error mesage with an error number for all of it's errors. With the error number, one can go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and ask for the explanation, most probably cause and likely action to resolve that.

I am not familiar with error number 'Timed out'. For Oracle9i, that string is in 18 errors. Guessing that the actual error is TNS-12535

TNS-12535 TNS:operation timed out

    Cause: The requested connection could not be completed within the timeout period specified by the CONNECT_TIMEOUT parameter in LISTENER.ORA. This error arises from the TNSLSNR.

    Action: Either reconfigure CONNECT_TIMEOUT to be 0, which means wait indefinitely, or reconfigure CONNECT_TIMEOUT to be some higher value. Or, if the timeout is unacceptably long, turn on tracing for further information.

It's time you started readong a bit about the Oracle environment. FOr Oracle9i, go to http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.homepage, get the list of books, and read the COncepts manual forllowed by the Net Services Administrators Guide.

/Hans Received on Mon Oct 11 2004 - 09:54:42 CDT