Re: How to install oracle on UNIX

From: Tom Barnes <nospam1978_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Oct 2004 20:24:39 -0700

I don't understand why this thread got totally out of control - where is all this anger coming from?

Howard, you have yourself written hands-on instructions for how to install Oracle on Linux (these are great - thanks). Here, another person shares some information for how to install Oracle on Solaris. Sure, the steps might not be 100% accurate (I wouldn't know) and it's all in the install guides, but so what? Why start flaming the guy? One person even complained about chosing bash as a shell, give me a break!

I'm getting tired of hearing "we're telling people to RTFM because we're tired of repeating the same thing over and over and we have work to do...bla...bla" - well you sure have time to flame this poor guy.

Even though I agree that the best overall advice for novices is to read the Concepts guide etc I think it's great that some people actually takes the time to try to explain some of these basic concepts.

-Tom

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<41629abe$0$20125$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Your practical and empirical experience on this matter is as nought compared
> with the direction Oracle itself is moving in, I would say.

No offense, but couldn't I say the same thing about your instructions for how to install Oracle on unsupported Linux platforms? Received on Wed Oct 06 2004 - 22:24:39 CDT