Re: How to install oracle on UNIX

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:56:51 +1000

Keg wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

>> Keg wrote:
>>
>> > Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message

%2Fhtml%2FA96167_01%2Ftoc.htm&remark=docindex

>> > Man, Solaris is the easy platform. (well excluding windoze)
>>
>> Do precisely what you wrote and I will guarantee a filed installation.
>>
>> Don't set the kernel parameters and reboot and you might as well not
>> bother trying at all.

> Actually there not needed for a database either if your SGA is
> small/medium sized. The changes to the parameters in /etc/system raise
> the default hard limits and thus allow larger shared memory segments
> and etc... I currently have a Solaris 8 64-bit and a Solaris 9 64-bit
> system running Oracle with the only change in /etc/system being
> increased open file descriptors. Same is true on Linux, rarely have I
> seen the need to make changes to the kernel parameters even though
> most install guides seem to make this a requirement _prior_ to doing
> anything.
>
> Just remember, there is no SGA during the installation of the oracle
> binaries, thus why would there be a need to increase the default hard
> limits of the SGA.

Because Oracle Corporation and the writers of those installation guides tend to take the eminently sensible viewpoint that you're not installing all those Oracle binaries just to see how much disk space you can consume; that at some point you will want to create a database with them; and at that point, it would be helpful for the revised kernel parameters to be able to kick in.

Added to which, have you not noticed that the Oracle installer will (at least offer to) create a database *as part of the installation* by default. At least a substantial percentage of Oracle installations will indeed consist of also creating a database as a result.

Whether that's a good or bad thing is another matter (I happen to think confusing installation with creating a database is extremely bad, but so what). Point is, there is method in the madness of proposing kernel parameter changes prior to installation.

By the way... have you tried an Oracle 10g installation using your advice? Unless you explicitly remember to ask it not to check, it won't even start installing unless ALL the kernel parameters are within its own definition of acceptable.

Your practical and empirical experience on this matter is as nought compared with the direction Oracle itself is moving in, I would say.

Regards
HJR