Re: Can I create a database via oracle client?

From: Goran <goran99_remove_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:11:29 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl> wrote in message news:vsc5m01j1okskgrbkfqa3sgge3j0l9fqfj_at_4ax.com...
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 14:32:44 +0200, "Goran" <goran99_remove_at_yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Actually, you don't need an instance nor a database to connect to db
>>server;
>>you need to have installation of oracle software, a listener for a future
>>instance, proper init and password files and *dump directories created.
>>You can connect "sys/pwd_at_xxx as sysdba" (listener starts dedicated server
>>process), start an instance (startup nomount), create database etc... as
>>if
>>you were "on" the machine.
>>
>>Regards...
>
> Ever tried it? I guess not.

Yes, before posting my reply. To make sure it can be done :-) Perhaps you should try to.... you might learn something.

> Apart from that, don't you think that creating a database has
> ramifications on the resource consumption on the server.
> Oh, now I see: you continue to create databases this way until the
> server suffocates and then you start to blame Oracle.

I don't see any benefit from doing it this way. You have to have access to server OS anyway - to install software, prepare init/pwd files etc... But technically: "is there a way to create a database with sqlplus via oracle client?". The answer is "Yes".

I only tried to give a correct answer to original poster's question.

Regards... Received on Tue Oct 05 2004 - 10:11:29 CDT