Re: Add database to existing oracle database

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 4 Oct 2004 16:46:09 -0700

sonika_sehrawat_at_yahoo.com (sonika) wrote in message news:<709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi experts,
>
> I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i
> using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to
> add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main
> database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this
> database from my machine to main server.
> I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility
> before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is
> good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps.
>
> I'll really appreciate your kind help.
> Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!!
>
> Thanks..so much
> Sonika

You should listen to the others, especially the part about seeing your DBA. But anyways:

There are often problems using export/import to go from a higher to a lower version. The problems arise if new features of the higher version are exported, which is likely if you are using defaults. The normal thing for a DBA to do is downgrade the higher version temporarily. But you might not have to. Try this:

In the server database, create all the tablespaces and tables beforehand, using the proper parameters. Get a book about Oracle if you don't know the parameters. See the Oracle Utilities manual for the exp/imp parameters.
Export the schema with compress=N.
Import with ignore=y.
Figure out all the errors and correct them.

This is not the best way to do things, but implicitly assumes only simple things were migrated from access and you may be able to fumble through it, learning much.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
It takes one to know one: