Re: How many Oracle 9i Instances can I create on the P650 AIX?

From: Keg <rhugga_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Sep 2004 14:46:30 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<2dsll0haovv77716b7borhlunmb4jgh64l_at_4ax.com>...
> On 29 Sep 2004 08:52:05 -0700, marcelmix_at_yahoo.com (DBA) wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to plan how many instances can I create on the P650 Server
> >without loosing great deal of performance and encounter a lot of
> >swapping:
> >
> >Server Specs:
> >
> >OS: AIX 5.1
> >Nr of CPUs: 4
> >Memory: 4GB
> >Virtual Memory: 8GB
> >Disk Space: 400GB
> >
> >Database Specs:
> >
> >Oracle 9i (9.2.0.1)
> >Max user: 50
> >Concurrent users: 20 - 30
> >The size of an instance around: 4GB
> >The size of SGA: 500 - 600 MB
> >
> >Please advise.
> >
> >Thank you
> >
> >Marcel
>
> Please be aware a database in other products equates to a schema
> within a database in Oracle. You really shouldn't be creating
> 'databases' If you insist on doing so the correct answer would be 2,
> based on the SGA you are specifying.

Well, Oracle will let you create/install many instances, using many versions (I have systems with 7.3.4, 8.0.5, 8.1.7, and 9.2.0.4 all together), however you must look at your applications and user load to determine how many the system will support. How you layout your storage will be a big factor, and you don't have a bunch of memory to work with either. I try and have 8GB per instance of Oracle on my systems that run more than 1 instance. And all my storage is SAN attached with dedicated volumes for each instance. You will likely be doing a ton of SGA tuning with this config and having a 2nd instance makes this a bit more tedious.

-chuc Received on Wed Sep 29 2004 - 16:46:30 CDT