Re: Oracle 8i database size

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 07:31:17 -0500

Comments embedded ....

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:29:50 +0200, Anton Dischner <nomail_at_nospam.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>if your rollback tablespace gets too large
>make shure you do a commit statement after each dml-command (insert,
>update, delete).

That's absurd! Commits should be used at the end of a logical unit of work, as defined by the business need. NOT arbitrarily thrown in after every dml command. Imagine a textbook case of moving money from one bank account to another ...

:trans_amt = 1000000
UPDATE accounts
SET acct_bal = acct_bal - :trans_amt
WHERE acct_num = '123';

<system crashes here>

UPDATE accounts
SET acct_bal = acct_bal + :trans_amt
WHERE acct_num = '456';

What happens when the system crashes?

And with your suggestion:

UPDATE accounts
SET acct_bal = acct_bal - :trans_amt
WHERE acct_num = '123';

COMMIT:
<system crash>

UPDATE accounts
SET acct_bal = acct_bal + :trans_amt
WHERE acct_num = '456';

Oopsies! You just lost a million dollars!

>Close unused sqlplus-sessions.

And how does this address the problem reported by the OP?