Re: Integrity of dump file

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:22:56 -0400

"Arch" <Please.do.not_at_spam.me> wrote in message news:Tdk6d.1224$5b1.443_at_newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
| Mark C. Stock wrote:
| > "Arch" <Please.do.not_at_spam.me> wrote in message
| > | It seems to me...
| > | If I'm using Oracle exp (9.2.0.4) and data in a table is changed
between
| > | the start and finish, the resulting dump file might contain
inconsistent
| > | data and not be reliable.
| > | Is that a correct assumption? If so, is there any way to be certain
| > | that a dump file is good other than making the db inaccessible during
| > | the export?
| >
| > could you be more specific in what you mean by 'dump' file, and what you
| > mean by 'good'?
| >
| > if you're doing hot backups, you're generally ok
| > if you're doing cold backups, the database should be shut down
| > if you're using exp, there is the CONSISTENT option to perform the
export as
| > a read-only transaction
| >
| > ++ mcs
|
| By 'dump' file, I meant the output file that was created when I use the
| exp command and full=y switch.
|
| I'm not entirely sure about good. If the file could not be relied on to
| restore the database, it wouldn't be 'good'. I'm trying to find out if
| that is a concern.
|
| It looks as though the CONSISTENT option is the only means of ensuring
| cross table consistency. Thanks for the tip.

you'll want to read up on backup strategies in the following manuals:

[_] Oracle9i Backup and Recovery Concepts
[_] Oracle9i User-Managed Backup and Recovery Guide
[_] Oracle9i Recovery Manager User's Guide
[_] Oracle9i Database Utilities

Restoring from and exp file will entail a 'logical' restore -- tables, etc, are recreated and repopulated. You'll want to make sure you understand how Oracle handles physical backup and restore.

Happy reading!

++ mcs Received on Tue Sep 28 2004 - 16:22:56 CDT