Re: Integrity of dump file

From: Arch <Please.do.not_at_spam.me>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:56:19 GMT

Mark C. Stock wrote:
> "Arch" <Please.do.not_at_spam.me> wrote in message
> | It seems to me...
> | If I'm using Oracle exp (9.2.0.4) and data in a table is changed between
> | the start and finish, the resulting dump file might contain inconsistent
> | data and not be reliable.
> | Is that a correct assumption? If so, is there any way to be certain
> | that a dump file is good other than making the db inaccessible during
> | the export?
>
> could you be more specific in what you mean by 'dump' file, and what you
> mean by 'good'?
>
> if you're doing hot backups, you're generally ok
> if you're doing cold backups, the database should be shut down
> if you're using exp, there is the CONSISTENT option to perform the export as
> a read-only transaction
>
> ++ mcs

By 'dump' file, I meant the output file that was created when I use the exp command and full=y switch.

I'm not entirely sure about good. If the file could not be relied on to restore the database, it wouldn't be 'good'. I'm trying to find out if that is a concern.

It looks as though the CONSISTENT option is the only means of ensuring cross table consistency. Thanks for the tip. Received on Tue Sep 28 2004 - 15:56:19 CDT