All Oracle processes run as root now ...

From: Jan <janik_at_pobox.sk>
Date: 24 Sep 2004 05:20:18 -0700

I`m running Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 on Red Hat 9. I tried to switch our instance into the asynchronous I/O mode.

According to Oracle docs (I cannot provided a link because it is not available now):

"Oracle9i: Administrator's Reference
Release 2 (9.2.0.1.0) for UNIX Systems: AIX-Based Systems, Compaq Tru64 UNIX, HP
9000 Series HP-UX, Linux Intel, and Sun Solaris"

I followed steps for enabling "Asynchronous I/O Support":

  1. As the root user, change directory to the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib directory.
  2. Enter the following commands:
    $ make -f ins_rdbms.mk async_on

Note: If you receive the "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -laio" error, then the system does not support kernel asynchronous I/O and you must enter the following command to restore the Oracle instance to a usable state:
$ make -f ins_rdbms.mk async_off

When I got an error "cannot find-laio" then I followed the instruction mentioned in the note ("make -f ins_rdbms.mk async_off")

After I log in as the oracle OS user and start up the instance. I found that all the processes from that time are running as root, e.g. all sql traces files written into UDUMP have root ownership. I also found that in $ORACLE_HOME/bin, there are 2 files (oracle, oracle0) with
the root ownership (I don`t remember if it was the same before), and if i change it to oracle I cannot start up the instance. I also tried to run $ORACLE_HOME/root.sh as root but it didn`t help.

Any ideas how to get the processes back to oracle user?

Thanks, Jan Received on Fri Sep 24 2004 - 07:20:18 CDT