Re: Installation of JAccelerator

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:51:04 GMT

On 23 Sep 2004 01:53:39 -0700, oriatodiego_at_hotmail.com (diego) wrote:

>After installing almost everything in the 10g package I get the
>following violation:
>
>"Policy Rule:
>Installation of JAccelerator (NCOMP)
>
>Recommendation:
>Oracle recommends installing JAccelerator(NCOMP) which typically
>contains Natively compiled (NCOMP) classes for improved Java Virtual
>Machine performance. Please refer to the Post-installation Tasks
>section in the Database Install Guide for instructions on how to
>install JAccelerator."
>

>The recommendation points to a not very useful documentation. Also it
>seems to me that all the java libraries are already natively compiled
>in the 10g version.

True. In fact already from 8i. All the core classes in the JVM are NCOMP. But JAccelerator allows you to NCOMP your own classes.

>Is this a warning I can ignore or should I worry? My application (a
>simple jdbc table insert-delete app) rely heavily on the best
>performance of the DB.

Ignore it. As your application is not running to hard on thousands of user classes, concentrate on writing efficient SQL.

>Any idea would be very much appreciated.

Another idea : Instead of executing the SQL via JDBC, wrap the SQL in some PL/SQL stored procedures and retrieve the results from here in your Java application. That in my opinion is the most efficient way.

Java was thought to be a programming language to solve any kind of programming problems. So was PL/1 (Invented by IBM in the 60'es), and it did not succeed outside the Mainframe.

The problem with this philosofy is that no matter how flexible a hammer is, it still won't work as both a hammer, a screwdriver and a jigsaw. You merely end up with one tool that is not really excellent for any task. I prefer to have (and use) 3 excellent tools :

PL/SQL is excellent for DB-near programming. Perl is excellent for gluing things together. C++ is excellent for science/calculations.

Java is excellent for.........Sun

Just my 2 cents on the noble art of programming...