Re: Insufficient Privileges with '/ as sysdba'

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:34:44 GMT

David Fitzjarrell wrote:

> You're saying you've installed the Oracle software under a user
> account that did not have the 'dba' group as its primary affiliation?
> If so, I believe it's likely a reinstall is in order, using an O/S
> account where the primary group IS 'dba'. And, normally, an account
> named 'oracle', with 'dba' as its group, is used to install Oracle.

Slight correction - on my Linux boxes I install explicitly using group 'oinstall', and after the completion of the install and running the root.sh the executables are still left as "oinstall". This is somewhat to my surprise - I expected the executables to have group=dba.

During the install, I set "dba" as the dba group. Apparently that is linked in during install.

Changing users, even creating new users, and switching them to group "dba" using the "newgrp" command allows the users to run "sqlplus / as sysdba"

I can only conclude that OP did not complete the install correctly or has a mismatch in dba group.

/Hans Received on Wed Sep 22 2004 - 15:34:44 CDT