Re: Insufficient Privileges with '/ as sysdba'

From: David Fitzjarrell <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 22 Sep 2004 10:27:21 -0700

Buck Turgidson <jc_va_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<t43622-521.ln1_at_turf.turgidson.com>...
> > This is true, however on Linux/UNIX it's a function of which O/S group
> > has been delegated administrative rights to Oracle, and, as such,
> > which O/S accounts are assigned that group. Buck is using his own O/S
> > account, which is not assigned to the 'dba' group (or, whatever group
> > he decided to assign admin rights to). That being the case the
> > 'insufficient privileges' error rears its ugly head. All Buck need do
> > is conncect to Linux as 'oracle' (presuming, again, that 'oracle' is
> > the account which installed the software) and all should be well. The
> > installer for UNIX/Linux asks which O/S group will be assigned admin
> > rights within Oracle. Members of this group can connect to the
> > instance as SYS as SYSDBA without a psssword locally. Actually,
> > without a username, either:
>
> I am in the dba and oinstall group, however my primary group is users.
>
> I changed my primary group to be dba, but I still have the same problem.
>
> "buck" is the user who installed Oracle.
>
> So, I guess I'll have to poke around a bit more.
>
> Thanks.

You're saying you've installed the Oracle software under a user account that did not have the 'dba' group as its primary affiliation? If so, I believe it's likely a reinstall is in order, using an O/S account where the primary group IS 'dba'. And, normally, an account named 'oracle', with 'dba' as its group, is used to install Oracle.

Also, as Hans mentioned, did you run root.sh at the appropriate time?

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Sep 22 2004 - 12:27:21 CDT