Re: Huge memory consumption during hot backup

From: Paolo <borghesi_at_libero.it>
Date: 22 Sep 2004 03:41:39 -0700

Hi Howard,
  I've configured RMAN, with a simple scripts like:

run
{
allocate channel ch1 type disk format 'd:\backup\backup_PBW'; backup database;
sql 'ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT';
}

and the memory consumption during backup is about 30-40 Mb (about 1/15 than using the operating system scripts!).

Besides, I tried to use RMAN without a catalog, by using the command "rman target user/password_at_pbw nocatalog @d:\test_rman\script.txt log d:\backup\backup.log", and everything worked correctly. What do you mean exactly by "It's a distraction that requires management that gives you nothing very much in return"? I've read the "Oracle 8i - Recovery Manager User's Guide and Reference", and I've not seen any particular drawnback of using the control file instead of the catalog...

Best regards,

Paolo Borghesi