Re: Oracle 10g - Diminishing DBA roles ... ++ licensed profession

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:06:33 -0700

gbarbour_at_csc.com wrote:

>>| Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>>
>>And weeding out unqualified developers would be a bad thing?
>>
>>Actually, the problem is more than the developers -- it starts with

> project
>
>>specification (or non-specification) and just reverberates on down to
>>unqualified developers.
>>
>>++ mcs
>>

> Designers such as for bridges or buildings are publically
> responsible/liable for their constructions.
> How liable are Software engineers? Consider this link?
> http://software.silicon.com/applications/0,39024653,39124122,00.htm
>
> Are the consequences severe enough? Who do you blame? Who is liable? Who is
> responsible?
>
> Shabble.

Actually they are. How many deaths each year from bridges collapsing? How many from misprescribed medications? How many dollars lost each year due to buldings falling down? How many to bad software?

The problem is that the public can easily recognize the handiwork of an incompetent engineer or physician. Far harder for our disasters to make it into the evening news.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington