Re: Resource Quotta for CPU Usage

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:06:36 GMT

John Wood wrote:
> I am planning to create CPU Resource Quota for an Oracle user mainly running
> reports. In our setup, all the report users will use the same user id to
> logon. I plan to allocate 30% of CPU time to that user.
>
> Does that mean the total CPU time will be 30% even though there will be 3 or
> 4 sessions log on as the same user ? Do I need to allocate the CPU resouce
> to other users so that the total will be 100% ? Can I skip the setup for
> other users ? As I am only concern with the report user running lengthy
> queries at this point.
>
> Thanks.
>
> JW

Version, platform info always helpful for a meaningful response.

First question: are you talking about dbms_resource_manager or create profile? (both provide controls for CPU usage).

Given that you mention "percents", I'm guessing resource manager. First, read the documentation.

IIRC, you assign as many users as you wish to a group within a resource plan. The resource manager only kicks in when there is actually some contention, so if you have enough CPU at the moment to handle everyone's requests, there won't be any limitations.

The OEM client is an easy way to set up some initial resource plans for testing. Chapter 27 of the Database Administrators Guide even provides a sample test script to exercise the resource manager.

HTH, -Mark Bole Received on Tue Sep 21 2004 - 20:06:36 CDT