Re: Oracle 10g - Diminishing DBA roles ...

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:23:01 +0100

"Kanwar Plaha" <kwr2k_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:439b6552.0409201717.4b193a87_at_posting.google.com...
> Reading through the entire thread, it is apparent that people have
> double standards here. In one breath, they are fearful that in 5
> years, they'll be obsolete due to "auto-everything" features in Oracle
> and in the same breath they're lauding Microsoft's UI to the database.

I don't see that. Perhaps you could point me to the post where *the same poster* suggested that they were fearful that they would be obsolete *and* lauded the ms UI.

> Take a step back and think: What made C programmers shudder? New
> libraries or RAD tools? Its the so called "joe-blow-friendly" UI that
> is threat to real knowledgeable DBAs and not features within the
> database.

I entirely disagree - useful features should also be easy to use features. arcane error prone syntax is an error on the part of the vendor.

> With MS SQL Server, any tom-dick-harry can mouse click his way to
> managing a database (ok, not quite but he can try) but Oracle does
> require continued experience to manage it effectively. Also,
> tom-dick-harry can screw up a database pretty quick due to the
> "advanced" GUI features whereas its much more complex to do that to
> Oracle.

If by tom-dick-harry you mean someone who doesn't know what they are doing - I disagree, someone who doesn't know what they are doing can royally screw an Oracle database in no time flat. MS tools actually do quite a good job at protecting the dba from himself.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA