Re: restricting listener access

From: FM <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:22:57 GMT

Mark Bole wrote:

> Pretty sure the password is only required to stop the listener or change
> the listener config, not start. So at the cost of just killing the
> listener process at server shutdown (instead of graceful stop), the
> password approach is still probably the best.

mmmm, if the password is needed only for the shutdown... your suggestion is indeed good!

> Of course, if you accidentally copy the same password to another
> machine, your problem could still happen.
>
> My suggestion is more of a general admin practice, not Oracle-specific:
> namely, don't get too clever with swapping old and new IP addresses,
> hostnames, etc. If you are setting up new hardware, give it a new name
> and a new IP address and update your configs appropriately when you cut
> over.

True for IP address... not so for addresses when you have to keep a complex architecture working (or have a "transparent migration"). Naming convention, clients, application servers and so on don't help... but I'm eager to learn smartest way to do a job!

Thank you again Mark.

--

Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com