Re: Oracle 10g - Diminishing DBA roles ...

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:42:47 GMT

Brian Dick wrote:

> There marketing folks want you to believe they are doing something, at
> least pricewise. I've seen fullpage advertisements touting SE is cheaper
> than SqlServer.

For many organizations, Oracle's Standard Edition provides the same feature set as SQL Server Enterprise Edition. In an attempt to mollify the usual rants, do a 'name comparison' instead of a 'feature comparison'. Look at SQL Server Standard Edition vs Oracle Standard Edition One using list prices for my 2-CPU boxes:

SQL Server Standard Edition Retail License

        $4,999 US per processor
        http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/default.asp

Oracle Standard Edition 1 List Price
        $4995 US per processor
        http://oraclestore.oracle.com
                > United States store
                > Databases tab
                > Standard Edition One link

I restrict myself to 2-CPU box, so Standard Edition One - which has the same features as Standard Edition - is the right one to use.

<sigh>
Let the "ya, but" comments begin
</sigh> Received on Fri Sep 17 2004 - 09:42:47 CDT