Re: Oracle 10g - Diminishing DBA roles ...

From: Dick <urdick2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:54:00 GMT

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> Comments embedded
> "Dick" <urdick2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>Richard,
>>       The  latest "move"  from Oracle Corp is to transform   Oracle, so
>>that it looks like  MS SQL server.  I have seen every one playing wih
>>MS-SQL and creating databases with one mouse click.

> We use both Oracle and MSSQL at my place of work - and, somewhat unusually,
> I believe that both are excellent products.
> Oracle however does not in any sense look like sql server, and Oracle aren't
> doing much to make it look like that at all. I can only assume that you are
> referring to the various manageability enhancements in 9i/10g. lets try a
> few
>
> The various cache advice views - sql server doesn't have them, the cache
> architecture is different.
> ASSM - nope not there.
> ASM - noticeably absent.
>
> Or perhaps you intended to refer to performance.
>
> function based indexes - nope.
> session history (limited though it is) - missing.
> a wait interface - nope, not really (there are bits)
> bitmap indexes - nope.
> session tracing from sql - just about with the interface from hell.
> writers don't block readers and vice versa - sql 2005.
>
> How about availability enhancements
> flashback - not there.
> logical standby - missing.
> log mining - nope.
>
> admittedly you don't have to worry about sizing extents appropriately in
> either product now....

Niall,

      Did these features stop someone from using MS-SQL? All these new Oracle features, How many of them are really used ? For that matter, How many DBAs really understand those? Even if somebody does( Docs, Training, Google Search...), Do they really know how to use it ?

Concerned Oracle DBA..
Dick Received on Fri Sep 17 2004 - 11:54:00 CDT